I took a glance at my office bookshelf and figured I'd post about the writing books that are on my shelf/Kindle. This is by no means a complete list, but these are some of the books that helped me along the way. I still refer back to them.
1. Stein on Writing and Grow Your Novel by Sol Stein
2. The Kick Ass Writer by Chuck Wendig (Wendig also has a number of other writing books out, some of them in list form. All have great advice)
3. Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell (any of Bell's writing books are excellent). I also recommend The Art of War for Writers.
4. Techniques of the Selling Writer by Dwight Swain
5. How to Write a Selling Screenplay by Christopher Keane
6. How to Write Page Turning Scenes by Holly Lisle (Lisle also has several other good books available on writing)
7. The 30-Day Book Marketing Challenge by Rachel Thompson (Thompson's website is also full of great tips for marketing and promotion)
8. The Novelist's Essential Guide to Crafting Scenes by Raymond Obstfeld
9. Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time by Jordan Rosenfeld
10. Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury
11. A Writer's Tale by Richard Laymon
12. The Right to Write by Julia Cameron
13. On Writing by Stephen King
14. Self Editing For Fiction Writers by Renni Brown and Dave King
It's Sunday excerpt time. This week, I'm posting chapters from my horror novella, The Walking Man. Available for Kindle . Chri...
First lines in fiction are crucial for grabbing the reader. It helps to create a disturbance, or change in the character's situation. Yo...
Enter the Night is available on all digital platforms. Find out what happens when six reality show contestants come in contact with four esc...
We spent a quiet New Years Eve at home with the kids, which is what my wife and I enjoy doing. We had drinks, snacks, and played Cards Again...